Conservation area, Logan’s Mill offer waterside picnic area
The Brussels Conservation Area is one of the county’s most attractive spots to take in a view of the Maitland River. It is classified by the Maitland Valley Conservation Authority as a day-use area with a small reservoir and picnic facilities.
This reservoir, which fills in the summer and creates a beautiful area in the village, has been made possible by the local council recently funding new logs for the Brussels Dam this spring.
The site itself has plenty of history. It is also the site of Logan Mill, which, is looking for a face lift in the near future. A group of dedicated volunteers is currently working on that effort as well.
A mill was first built on the Brussels site in 1859 by William and James Vanstone, but fire destroyed the first mill and a subsequent mill was constructed.
John Logan eventually built the current Logan Mill and put a cement cap on the dam in 1914-1915.
In recent years, the facility has been upgraded to include washroom facilities thanks to the Brussels Optimist Club and the Trillium Foundation. The site now includes walking trails and playground equipment.