Blyth Eastern Star Lodge
Blyth's Eastern Star Lodge made many contributions
When Blyth celebrated its centennial in 1977, the Eastern Star Lodge was strong with 35 charter members and a total membership of 90.
By the village’s 125th, the Blyth’s chapter no longer existed.
The first meeting to discuss the possibility of organizing a chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star in Blyth was held in the Blyth United Church Sunday school room on Feb. 3, 1953.
A month later representatives of the Grand Chapter, Order of Eastern Star and its Sister subordinate chapters gathered in Blyth Memorial Hall to institute a new chapter of the Order. Worthy Grand Patron, Brother Wellington Smith of Fort Frances convened the afternoon meeting. Sixty petitioners took their oath of allegiance. The chapter was named Regal Chapter No. 275 U.C. Order of the Eastern Star. The name Regal was taken because it was the coronation year of Queen Elizabeth.
Vera Urquhart was elected Worthy Matron, while Worthy Patron was Rev. Charles Scott.
Other officials were: Associate Patron, Harold Vodden; secretary, Myrtle Vodden; treasurer, Violet Hawes; conductress, Doreen Carter; associate conductress, Ruth Shaddick; chaplain, Grace McCallum; marshall, Olive Doherty; organist, Ruby Philp; Ada, Mary Holland; Ruth, Kathleen Walpole; Esther, Jean Fairservice; Martha, Elva Garrett; Electa, Betty Haines; warder, Luella McGowan and Sentinel, Carman Haines.
Like so many other organizations in the village, the Lodge met at Memorial Hall. That changed in April of 1955 when they opened their own chapter rooms in the Doherty building on Dinsley Street. However, in 1968, they moved back to Memorial Hall.
Over the years the Eastern Star made many contributions. Among those were some to the Florence Nightingale home at Agincourt, the Canadian Cancer Society, the Salvation Army, the Children’s War Memorial Hospital in London and Easter Seals.